Winter Cocktail: The Abe Henry
Spiked eggnog is great for holiday parties, but the right iced cocktail is hard to beat, even amidst the most frigid of winters. We recruited Mike Treffehn, bartender of the award-winning Rum Club, to create a cold-weather cocktail for your enjoyment.
“The Abe Henry is a play on a whiskey sour,” says Mike. “I used Old Overholt Rye and El Dorado 12 Rum to combine two things that have some similarities in certain flavor profiles, but with pretty different bodies. Cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors to play with and works with those spirits marvelously. A dash of Peychaud’s adds brightness while Swedish Punsch gives a funky, berry quality that adds some complementary interest.”
Also complementary is the ease with which the Abe Henry goes down. Handle with care.
- 1 oz Old Overholt rye Whiskey
- 1 oz El Dorado 12 Demerara Rum
- .75 oz fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz rich cinnamon syrup.
- .25 oz Kronan Swedish Punsch
- 1 dash Peychaud’s bitters
- Shake ingredients together over ice
- Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice
- Garnish with an orange slice